Connection, direction and reflection are the keys for a successful sophomore year. Below is a list of suggestions for how your student can actively engage in these themes throughout their second year at UMD. We encourage you to discuss these opportunities for advancement and enrichment with your student.
- Engage in service-learning opportunities throughout campus, such as our Alternative Break program or Terp Service Day.
- This year is an opportunity for students to step into leadership positions, like serving in the University Senate or the Residence Hall Association, or join a student organization on campus.
- Show your Terp Pride by attending a Big Ten sporting event or joining one of our intramural or club teams.
- Work toward achieving better wellness by taking care of yourself mentally, physically and emotionally.
- Make an appointment with the University Health Center
- Visit the Counseling Center
- Exercise at one of our CRS facilities or bike around campus
- Explore your career interests by making an appointment with the University Career Center & The President’s Promise
- Declare a major and keep on track by continuing to meet with an Academic Advisor and check on your school’s four-year plan
- Step back, relax, and reflect by taking the time to explore our beautiful campus. Take a relaxing walk on the mall, visit the Garden of Reflection and Remembrance and walk the labyrinth.
- Find a relaxing and renewing escape, and get back in touch with nature on a sunrise hike or canoe down a river with a CRS Adventure Trip.
- Refocus your energy into creativity. Watch a show at The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, visit the Stamp Art Gallery, or create something yourself at the Art & Learning Center.