Now is the time for students to gain experience in a field of interest. Internships, research, and other valuable experiences often lead to a job after graduation! The following is a useful list of suggestions to keep moving forward on the four-year career plan.
- Check in with University Career Center staff about your progress or if you need additional assistance.
- Gain practical experience through internships, research, student activities, and volunteer work.
- Schedule a Virtual Mock Interview to see how well you interview.
- Interview with employers seeking interns through the On-Campus Interviewing (OCI) Program.
- Network with employers at information sessions, events, and fairs.
- Update your Careers4Terps account at www.Careers.umd.edu/Careers4Terps
- Speak with employers about internships at Career & Internship Fairs.
- Register for the EDCP 108J: Job Search Strategies course to learn additional strategies for landing internships or full-time employment.
- Update your resume and cover letter(s) using our web-based Resume Builder, and have them critiqued.
- Practice your 30-second “elevator speech.”
- For potential graduate students: Familiarize yourself with graduate or professional school admissions procedures. Develop relationships with faculty who could serve as references.
How you can help your student.