The Maryland Parent & Family Association is proud to partner with the University of Maryland’s official bookstore to create a special t-shirt to be sold in the University Book Center and online throughout the academic year. This one-of-a-kind shirt will be available as a limited edition, and a new shirt and design will be featured each year. Every shirt sold raises money for the Maryland Parent & Family Association Student Scholarship Fund, providing scholarships to undergraduate students at risk of leaving UMD due to extenuating financial circumstances.
Show us what being a Terp means to you! The contest is open to all UMD students, alumni, parents/families, faculty, and staff. In addition to having the design produced by and sold in the University Book Center, the winner will receive 10 t-shirts and a $500 University Book Center gift card.
Entries must be received by 5:00 p.m. (ET) on Thursday, August 31, 2017. Winner will be announced via social media on September 10, 2017.
The theme of the design should celebrate Maryland pride and/or Terp spirit. The design does not have to say “University of Maryland,” but the motif should be a very evident reflection of UMD and Terp pride.
Colors & Specs
- The design will be screen-printed on the front of a red, Under Armour t-shirt. Designs must be compatible with front-of-shirt display/placement only.
- Designs may use up to two ink colors, with the fabric color (red) as a third color.
- Designs should be submitted electronically via email in .eps, .pdf or .ai format (if selected, final files must be either .eps, .ai, .psd or .indd).
Rules & Eligibility
- The contest is open to current UMD students, alumni, parents/families, faculty, and staff.
- All entries must be received by the stated deadline.
- Participants may submit as many designs as they would like until the stated deadline.
- All designs must be in good taste and in alignment with the University of Maryland’s values in order to be considered. Designs that include any reference to inappropriate content will be disqualified.
- All designs must comply with University trademark and licensing regulations.
- Key guidelines to note: (1) University of Maryland marks may not be altered in any way. For example, the "M" being held in the mascot turtle mark's hands. Be creative around the marks, but not with the marks. (2) Nothing can overlap or fill the marks. (3) No reference to any UMD athletes can be made.
- Entrants represent and warrant that their submission is their original work, has not been copied from another, and does not violate the rights of anyone else or another entry.
- All entry materials become the exclusive property of the Office of Parent and Family Affairs/University of Maryland. Entry into the contest is deemed as a statement of an entrant’s irrevocable, perpetual permission and consent for the University to use the submitted design and possibly the entrant's name and other information for editorial, advertising and/or publicity purposes in any and all media.
- The Office of Parent and Family Affairs/University of Maryland has the right modify/adapt the winning design, as needed, for purposes necessary to the screening/printing process or other needs.
- The winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and copyright transfer/liability/publicity/permission release. If the winner is deemed to be a minor under the jurisdiction of his/her residence, the parent or legal guardian must execute the necessary affidavit and release. Affidavits and releases must be returned within ten (10) days of attempted notification or an alternate winner may be chosen.
- The Office of Parent and Family Affairs/University of Maryland reserves the right to disqualify any person who violates the rules of this contest.
- The Office of Parent and Family Affairs/University of Maryland is not responsible for lost or misdirected submissions.
- Any designs that do not win the first year may be resubmitted the next year(s).
The Office of Parent and Family Affairs/University of Maryland reserves the right to modify and amend these guidelines at any time without notice.
Designs should be sent via email in .pdf, .eps or .ai format to the Office of Parent and Family Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review & Selection
A committee of students, parents, alumni and staff will select the winning design. The designs will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Adherence to design guidelines listed above;
- Creativity and innovation;
- Ability to visually capture Maryland pride and/or Terp spirit in a positive and constructive manner;
- Appeal of design to broad spectrum of people.