Terp Family Council
The Terp Family Council is a group of dedicated family volunteers who serve as ambassadors for the University of Maryland among the parents and family members of undergraduate students and provide feedback to the Office of Family Engagement on issues of particular interest to undergraduate families. The Terp Family Council meets two times each year to discuss issues; learn more about University developments affecting students; facilitate programs and events to involve parents and families in the life of the University; and participate in broadening and deepening relationships in support of the University.
The Terp Family Council is made up of parents and family members of current undergraduate students. The Council consists of approximately 45 people representing a diverse spectrum of students’ degree programs and academic/class standing. The Council is appointed by the Director of Family Engagement, and all members serve a two-year term. The two-year terms are renewable at the invitation of the Office of Family Engagement and volunteers may serve until their student’s graduation from UMD.
As part of their commitment to the Terp Family Council and the University, members support programs in the Division of Student Affairs with annual gifts throughout their appointed term. The Council also encourages other families to make gifts in support of the University.
The University of Maryland Terp Family Council strives to foster student success and enhance the campus community by actively engaging the parents and families of undergraduate students in support of the university through events, programs, and fundraising.
The purpose of the Terp Family Council is to:
- Serve as ambassadors for the University of Maryland among the parents and family members of undergraduate students;
- Represent the families of undergraduate students to the Office of Family Engagement, Division of Student Affairs, and the larger University of Maryland community;
- Serve as an ongoing forum for building and maintaining a strong bond with the University;
- Energize parent and family resources on the University’s behalf by making leadership gifts and encouraging other families to make gifts in support of the University.
- Attend 2 annual meetings on campus to learn ways to support students, discuss issues concerning families, interact with university administrators, and provide a collective voice on topics relevant to students and families.
- Participate as a reviewer for the Terp Family Student Scholarship Awards.
- Engage with incoming families by hosting or attending a Summer Send-Off.
- Assist with the Terp Family Fundamentals webinar series as needed.
- Serve as ambassadors by sharing your affinity with UMD in your community and working to engage other parents and families in supporting university efforts.
- Be knowledgeable about campus resources and share information with other Terp families.
- Work together to increase philanthropic support for all Terps, including assisting with Giving Day and making an annual financial contribution to the Division of Student Affairs in accordance with your ability and preferably at a leadership level ($1,000+) by December of each year.
Applying to Council
The application process for the Terp Family Council is currently closed. We will begin accepting applications for the 2023-2025 term (two-year commitment) in Fall 2023.
Please contact the Office of Family Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.